Monday, March 30

The Post You've All Been Waiting For. Matt's First!!!

Just kidding about the title, but this is my first posting for a very good reason. I didn't want to jinx dad. I know that sounds superstitious... and it is. And yes I'm knocking on wood now as I type this. However, I witnessed two events today that made me feel it was worth breaking a couple mirrors to share with everyone who has been following this blog.

As everyone is aware, mom has been a bit under the weather for the past several days and has not seen dad since last Wednesday. While that may not seem like much to you and me, to mom and dad it must be like an eternity. I can't recall in my lifetime the two of them ever being separated for more than a few hours; maybe a day if dad were gone on one of his school conference trips to Wintergreen Resort. Since retirement, the most time they've been apart would be when mom would skip church or dad would go to Hot Springs to work out. I've always been envious that two people could spend that much time together and yet still seem to miss one another when they were apart for just a short while. Anyway, back to today's events. I left work today about 5:00 and went to see dad before going to pick mom up. When I walked into dad's room I was met with a big grin; a "hello son"; and a "guess what I get to do tomorrow? I get to eat my first real !" That's the most excited I've seen my father since all of this began. He then proceeded to tell me that his speech therapist says he is doing great and she is fixing him some type of hamburger dish tomorrow. He then started telling about three stories that she read to him and he had to answer questions pertaining to each story. He said he got every question correct. Dad said the speech therapist thinks his mental awareness has definitely improved over the past few days... namely since his blood transfusion. Lets all keep praying for his improvement.

I told dad I had to leave but if mom was up to it I would bring her back to see him. I didn't think I could see dad anymore excited then I did when he told me about getting to eat tomorrow. Well I was wrong. When dad saw mom walk through that door after not seeing her for the better part of a week, he looked like I always imagined the coyote would have if he had ever caught the road runner... grinning from ear to ear and trying to hold back tears all at the same time. I just told mom I'd be back in a while and shut the door, leaving the two of them to their reunion. As my kids would say, "that was one of the coolest things I've ever seen."

I'll let everyone know how the meal goes tomorrow. We should also be receiving dad's team report around the same time. Lets all keep our fingers crossed till then. Good Luck Dad!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment