Thursday, March 5

3/4/09 to 3/5/09 -- Back on the Rollercoaster

Sorry for no update yesterday; I was just too tired to write when I got back from Charlottesville last night.

Yesterday's news on Dad was something of a mixed bag (which seems to be the situation all too frequently.) On the positive front, his vital signs remain stable and strong, the numbers in his labs continue to go in the right direction, and his kidney function continues to be good. I met for nearly an hour yesterday with the surgical resident on Dad's team, who explained that physically he appears to be healing well from last Friday's surgery.

On the "we're not quite sure what this means" front, Dad continues to be disoriented and not very responsive verbally. The medical staff thinks this is most likely due to lingering effects of the pain meds he was on earlier this week and/or a not uncommon reaction to the trauma of major surgery. To make sure, however, they are (at my insistence) doing a neurological workup. That started last night, and we will hopefully hear the results today.

On a personal note, I want to thank everyone for their kind comments and all the support you've shown my Mom and my family. It is comforting, to say the least, to know that Dad has so many friends and relatives pulling for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment